Our Mission and Key Philosophies
To create positive sports environments fostering social integration, healthy living, and greater self-confidence for children and young adults with special needs.
The Three Pillars of RallyCap Sports
We believe these three pillars will enrich the lives of our RallyPlayers: Social Integration, Self-Confidence, and Healthy Living. Sports are an effective channel towards achieving these pillars and we make it the goal of every RallyChapter to help participants grow in these areas. We know that learning about living a healthy lifestyle, developing confidence, and interacting with peers can be a fun and empowering experience.
Social integration is our key pillar. An essential component of our program lies within the Buddy/RallyPlayer relationship. A Buddy is a student volunteer who is partnered with a participant who has special needs—or “RallyPlayer”—to provide one-on-one peer interaction. This partnership makes RallyPlayers feel involved, and it increases awareness in each Buddy on how to engage and connect with a member of the special needs community. We have found that people often want to reach out, but just aren’t sure how; by facilitating these connections, we reshape the community and bolster the child or young adult with special needs.
Promoting social integration is embedded into every facet of the RallyCap experience.
Here are some key points to remember:
- Your chapter will become a place where RallyPlayers learn how to interact with their peers
- Promoting teamwork in each sports session fosters leadership, encouragement, and a sense of working together
- Players will learn how to communicate with their peers and Buddy while they play
- This may be the first time that a child has a peer “buddy” who is supportive and engaged. You will provide an environment where participants can make new friends!
All members of the RallyTeam, especially Buddies, are charged with the important task of lifting the confidence of our RallyPlayers. Offering frequent and sincere words of encouragement and support is pivotal to the success of the program. We urge you to celebrate along with the players for every achievement, no matter how small!
There are simple ways to help build confidence:
- Smile! It’s contagious, and makes everyone feel great.
- Give a high-five! High-fives are a big part of RallyCap Sports, they add to the collaborative and playful spirit.
- Clap, cheer, and celebrate! No matter how good a participant is at playing a sport, let them know you are proud of them for doing their best.
Many of the RallyPlayers you will meet struggle to maintain a healthy lifestyle. We believe everyone should learn how regular active-play can improve one’s quality of life. We teach by example, designing our sports programs in a way that helps each participant learn how to be active and have fun!
There are simple ways to demonstrate healthy living:
- Warm up demonstrations: stretching and warm up techniques they can also do at home
- Encouraging RallyPlayers to play hard during RallyCap sessions
- Communicate the importance of practice outside of RallyCap
Other Key Philosophies
WE PLAY FOR SMILES
Our sports and events are geared towards creating a safe environment for people of all abilities to have fun and flourish within our three-pillar mission. Your RallyChapter should be a place where everyone feels welcome and has a blast; competition is not our objective.
CELEBRATE EACH VICTORY
We believe everyone should be told “great job!” and “you rock!”. One of our favorite ways to support and encourage every RallyPlayer is to reward them with their very own trophy! At the end of each sport season, you will have a trophy ceremony—trust us, it’s one of the most special things you will ever witness!
ALL ABILITIES ARE WELCOME
At the heart of RallyCap Sports is our vision that children and young adults with special needs have the opportunity to participate in and enjoy sports just like everyone else. To create an inclusionary sports program, we open the door to children and young adults with abilities and special needs of all kinds. We want every RallyPlayer to feel like they belong and to have fun.
At RallyCap Sports, we believe that sports have the power to ignite change in our local communities across the country. Through acceptance, we aim to challenge everyone to uncover a wider range of human abilities and to come together as we unite as human beings.